Sunday, September 27, 2009

Make-Believe Mondays with Jenna Ives


Today on Make-Believe Mondays my guest is Jenna Ives.

Jenna, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Jenna: The premise of my September 29th Samhain release “The Initiation Of Isabella” is this: what if a case of mistaken identity allowed you to experience your wildest sexual fantasies? Would you be daring enough to indulge? In the case of my heroine Isabella Tallin, her decision literally changes her life.

Debra: That's quite a question! I wonder how Isabella will handle that and what will happen to her? Readers, we'll have to wait till tomorrow when the book releases to find out.

Ray Bradbury said, “We are cups, constantly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.” How do you keep your creative cup filled?

Jenna: First of all, can I say that I love, love, love Ray Bradbury? I saw him recently in Pacific Palisades, CA, at an event, and I was so tongue-tied I couldn’t even tell him how much I admire his writing. Reading his “Martian Chronicles” is one of my most vivid childhood memories, and my first three manuscripts were sci-fi -- no doubt because of his influence!

As for my ‘creative cup,’ I don’t have any problem keeping it filled J There are any number of things that spark story ideas for me: a snippet of overheard conversation, a newspaper article. In fact, my Samhain release “The Initiation Of Isabella” was inspired by my nightly cocktail sipped on my balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean and asking “What If…”

Debra: He really is wonderful and I would love to hear him speak. That "What If" question can be the start of so many good stories and it's so much fun to play the what if game.

Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Jenna: I must admit it IS scary when your characters start to talk to you in your head, but then again, that’s the point when you know you’re a real writer, LOL!

Debra: Yes, when those characters come alive and start talking it can feel a bit otherworldly. But then it is another world. ;-)

For some writers, dreams play a role in creating fiction. Has this been true for you? Have you ever dreamed a scene or an image that later wound up in one of your books?

Jenna: Ironically, one of my dreams became a storyline in a YA novel in which the heroine dreams my dream, but that story hasn’t sold yet L But yes, it *does* happen!

Debra: Perhaps it will soon. :-)

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Jenna: Even though my new Samhain story “The Initiation Of Isabella” is a contemporary erotic romance, see my answer on Ray Bradbury, above, LOL! He is The Man!

Debra: Yes, he is. lol

Is there anything else you would like to add about the role of imagination, and dreams in creating fiction? Any other message for our readers?

Jenna: Imagination is a writer’s greatest asset. When you let go of the ordinary world and let your imagination soar, that’s when inspiration invariably strikes. As someone once said, “As the mind calms, the eyes see more clearly.” Free yourself, and see what happens!

Debra: That's a very good quote and excellent advice.

Jenna, thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

Jenna: Thanks so much for having me here today! I’m so excited that my first Samhain story, “The Initiation Of Isabella” releases on September 29th, and is part of Samhain’s sexy Binding Ties bondage anthology. You can read an excerpt at www.jennaives.com and register to win a Bondage Kit by sending an e-mail to: bindingties-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Winner will be chosen on October 29.

How about you? If a case of mistaken identity offered you the opportunity to fulfill your wildest sexual fantasies, would you be daring enough to indulge??

Debra: That's quite a question to leave our readers with. So, readers, how about it? How would you answer?

------------------------------

Debra's News/Debra is watching:

This week I am writing and resting up for the Ozark Creative Writers in Eureka Springs Oct. 8th to 11th. Between now and then I need to finish the manuscripts and get them ready to submit to a few agents.

www.debraparmley.com

No comments: