Monday, September 21, 2009

Make-Believe Mondays with Allan Gilbreath


Today on Make-Believe Mondays my guest is Allan Gilbreath.

Allan, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Allan: Currently, I am working on "Final Kiss" which is the next installment in the Galen series. I have also begun work on a speculative piece called "What's a Modern Demon to do?"

Debra: That's a good story question which raises all sorts of questions in this readers mind. So many possibilities there.

Ray Bradbury said, “We are cups, constantly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.” How do you keep your creative cup filled?

Allan: My creative cup overfloweth. I have no shortage of projects that I want to get done. I just don't have enough time.

Debra: Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Allan: I have actually lost arguments with my characters. Since we spend so much time trying to figure out what we want them to do next, it is very easy to fill in all the missing parts and get to know the personality of your creation very well.

Debra: Those arguments would be fun to witness I'd think.

Some very famous authors have played with language, creating words for people or places that no one has ever heard of. Have you ever played with words in that way and if so how?

Allan: I have in a couple of fantasy projects. I find it convenient to create the place, but you really have to keep up with your own details.

Debra: And with a fantasy world there can be so much to keep up with.

For some writers, dreams play a role in creating fiction. Has this been true for you? Have you ever dreamed a scene or an image that later wound up in one of your books?

Allan: Absolutely, I find that dreams can be a wonderful inspiration for new works.

Debra: As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Allan: Jules Verne and Edgar Allan Poe let me explore aspects of the world (real and imaginary) hidden to most people. They showed me everything from innovation to dismay and how a host of feelings could exist in a single person.

Debra: That host of feelings is what can make a character come to life.

If there were no categories for books, no reader expectations to meet, and you could create the wildest work of imagination that you could think of what kind of story would that be?

Allan: To be honest, I am exploring that at some level in everything I write.

Debra: Is there anything else you would like to add about the role of imagination, and dreams in creating fiction? Any other message for our readers?

Allan: The imagination is an amazing gift. It can solve problems or let you explore the heavens. It allows writers and readers to connect in an incredible way and share entire universes.

Allan, thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

Learn more about Allan and his work at
Kerlach.com/allangilbreath
and
Allan on MySpace

----------------------
Debra's News/Debra is writing:

I was in Little Rock Saturday signings books and now I am taking a little break until Oct. 8th to 10th when I'll be in Eureka Springs at the Ozark Creative Writers signing all weekend. You can find my calendar on my website and follow me on Twitter if you wish. Sign up for my newsletter and you may win a free ebook!

www.debraparmley.com

Finishing out this month I have two manuscripts to finish and get out the door so
I'm also writing as fast as I can in the Unleash Your Story Write-a-thon which raises funds for Cystic Fibrosis. Go to
UnleashYourStory.com
to learn more. Every $5.00 donation adds up and we appreciate your support! Those who donate can also win free books! Check it out!

Now, for those who have been waiting for the winner from last weeks contest with Jeanmarie Hamilton.....the lucky winner is .....Kaitey Benoit....
please email me debra@debraparmley.com and we will get your prize out to you.

If you enjoy games, contests and free books
I'm one of twenty authors in a treasure hunt where you can win free books! Roaring twenties, twenty authors and over twenty prizes! Go to
CiarCullen.wordpress.com
to play along and good luck!

Until next week, have a beautiful Monday, a lovely week and remember to smile!

Debra

No comments: