Monday, March 22, 2010

Make-Believe Monday with Jackie Gamber

Today on Make-Believe Mondays my guest is Jackie Gamber.

Jackie, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Jackie: Debra, I’ve begun the editing phase of a time travel/historical novel surrounding two of history’s most influential and mysterious people: Adam Worth (the real-life inspiration for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s ‘Moriarty’, and Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire. Though the two were born nearly 100 years apart, and are connected in history only by way of a single painting, my novel tells the story of how they met and fell in love. It is the story of “what really happened”.
In addition, I’m writing on the second volume in my Leland Dragons series.

Debra: So you're venturing into romance then. My favorite genre. :-)

Some very famous authors have played with language, creating words for people or places that no one has ever heard of. Have you ever played with words in that way and if so how?

Jackie: Much of my favorite kind of writing involves characters from places created only in my imagination. I have, on occasion, created languages as well, which is a lot of fun, although I’m careful not to overdo it. A splash of unknown language between two characters can add realism; too much is overwhelming. But I enjoy naming characters, as well, with phonetically-friendly but unusual sounds. My fantasy novel, Redheart, takes place in Leland Province, where dragon names are something of a Native American feel, and human names seem almost familiar.

Debra: Just a splash, dears. (Writing can be so much like cooking.)

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Jackie: My first experience with a story that involved characters from another world—a wizard and a witch—was The Frightened Forest by Ann Turnbull. In the story, a girl visits her cousins in an unfamiliar town, and upon meeting a dare to walk alone through an abandoned train tunnel, she accidentally releases a witch who had been imprisoned in the dark. I was enthralled by the tale, but had no idea at the time that it was a “fantasy”. My love for that book definitely shaped the kind of stories I write today.

Debra: Ah, now that's a new one that hasn't come up before. I'll have to look for it.

Jackie, thank you for visiting Make-Believe Mondays this week to talk about imagination, creativity and dreams.

Readers may learn more about Jackie and her books by visiting
www.lelanddragons.com and www.jackiegamber.com

--------------------------
Debra's News/Debra is watching:

Last week I attended Gulf Wars in Lumberton, MS where I sold some books, slept in a period pavillion (primitive camping at this site) and soaked up the atmosphere and experiences to use in the medieval romance I am planning. Just got in Sunday so this week is going to be spent getting caught up on things after having been away.

This coming Saturday I will be at That Bookstore in Blytheville signing books from 1:00 to 3:00. If you are in the area do stop in for tea and to say hello! I love making new friends and meeting readers.

www.debraparmley.com

No comments: