Sunday, July 05, 2009

Make-Believe Mondays With Dana Marie Bell

Today on Make-Believe Mondays my guest is Dana Marie Bell.

Dana Marie, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Dana Marie: I’m currently working on two different manuscripts, a holiday story entitled Sing We Noelle and the first of the Pennsylvania Shifters, Bear Necessities. I’m hoping to have Sing done by the end of July. It’s based in the world of The Gray Court, the world of Dare to Believe. Bear Necessities will be the first full-length shifter book set in the world of the Halle Pumas, and will be the beginning of a more multi-shifter world involving foxes, bears, wolves, coyotes, etc. I’m looking forward to getting back to my shifters!

Debra: What fun! Foxes and bear and wolves, oh my! (Couldn't resist that one.)

For some writers, dreams play a role in creating fiction. Has this been true for you? Have you ever dreamed a scene or an image that later wound up in one of your books?

Dana Marie: I’ve dreamed entire books! I had a sci-fi dream that I’ve written down, and it’s turned into the outline for a book I’m tentatively calling Stern Negotiations. I actually dreamed it from beginning to end. When I let my husband read it he got all excited and started talking about how I could work the science, which let me know I had a good idea on my hands.

Debra: Oh that is excellent, especially that you were able to capture it all on paper. Dreams can slip away so easily.

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Dana Marie: J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia were favorites of mine. Isaac Asimov and Andre Norton were also favorites. And I got my love of romances from Louisa May Alcott and Barbara Cartland. (Which probably explains why I write paranormal romance.)

Debra: Yes, it does!

Is there anything else you would like to add about the role of imagination and dreams in creating fiction? Any other message for our readers?

Dana Marie: Imagination is the most important part of creating fiction; well, that and the common sense to know when to rein that imagination in. (“Seriously! I TOTALLY think Lion-O should have a Thundercat lightsaber. Oh! And he should have a Power Ranger’s ‘zord powered by the Elfstones of Shannara! Why not? Really? It’s too much? Damn. There goes that idea.”) Dreams are a great jumping off point, but it’s imagination and sweat that bring a story to life.

Speaking of imagination, I have the start of a new series coming out July 28th through Samhain Publishing: Dare to Believe, the first of The Gray Court novels. It’s the beginning of my take on modern fae (sidhe, poukas, leprechauns, etc.) and began, of course, with a healthy dose of imagination.

Debra: Oh but Lion -O should have that lightsaber! LOL Yes, well, I see what you mean. Imagination and sweat, yes, those are the two pillars that hold the stories up so that they can become books. Both are equally as important, I believe. One without the other and the work becomes lopsided.

Dana Marie, thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

Dana Marie: Thank you for having me!

Debra: It's been a pleasure.

Readers please visit Dana Marie at

www.danamariebell.com
-----------------------------------
Debra's News/Debra is Watching:

This week I will be hard at work on revisions to the manuscript so it can be ready to ship out the door soon. I'm getting impatient for it to be ready and that's a good thing because that creates the drive and push which gets things done.

Part of my new routine is to spend Thursdays at the library from 9 to 5, writing. During that time I do not take phone calls or emails, even with the iphone. It's my writing retreat day and this will be my routine from now on unless there is an emergency or I am traveling.

www.debraparmley.com

No comments: