Monday, March 03, 2008

Make-Believe Mondays With Lyndi Lamont



Today on Make-Believe Mondays my guest is Lyndi Lamont.

Lyndi, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

LL: Debra, first let me say thanks for asking me here. It was great to meet you at last year’s RT Convention.

I’m just starting a new manuscript, ALLIANCE: COSMIC SDANDAL, an erotic futuristic romance. It’s part of my Alliance series in which the people of two very different worlds come together to fight space raiders who are attacking their merchant vessels.

The hero of this story is Prince Myrek of the planet Zigan who is now acting ambassador to planet Mhajav. Myrek is a widower with one son who suffers from a blood disease. He hopes the Mhajavi scientists will be able to help his son. The heroine, Khira, is a Mhajavi genetic researcher with whom he falls in love.

The obstacles in their way are both genetic and legal. Their two races are genetically incompatible, meaning Khira can’t give him children. Legally, as heir to the throne, Myrek must marry a virgin. Though Khira still a virgin, Mhajavi law prohibits virgins from marrying.

Afraid his only son will not survive childhood, Myrek knows he must wed again, but Khira is the only woman he wants. In order to have her, he will defy convention, break the laws of two planets, and cause a Cosmic Scandal that will threaten the alliance between their two worlds.

Debra: Lyndi, it was lovely meeting you at the RT convention. I can't wait for this years convention. RT is such a wonderful place to meet new friends. Your new novel sounds fascinating and I am wondering how they will overcome genetic obstacle. That's a a tough one.

Ray Bradbury said, “We are cups, constantly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.” How do you keep your creative cup filled?

LL: The story ideas never stop coming, but periodically I do run out of steam, and words to put the ideas to paper. Music helps me to keep focused on my story. I write to sound tracks or New Age-type music, instrumental, no words. I usually do a short meditation and affirmations before starting to write to get myself into the right state of mind to let the ideas flow more freely.

Debra: Interesting that you should mention that, as I am looking into tapes which stimulate creativity, much the way a hypnosis tape puts you into a certain state. It's important to be able to clear that busy mind.

Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

LL: Yes, but don’t ask for more details. Each story is different.

Debra: Some very famous authors have played with language, creating words for people or places that no one has ever heard of. Have you ever played with words in that way and if so how?

LL: I didn’t do much of that until I started to write futuristic romance. In creating my two worlds, I’ve taken liberties with both names and words, often changing the spelling. Creating the imaginary worlds was a lot of fun, esp. the “social engineering” of a traditional society teaming up with one that is much more socially and sexually open.

Debra: For some writers, dreams play a role in creating fiction. Has this been true for you? Have you ever dreamed a scene or an image that later wound up in one of your books?

LL: I wish. My dreams seem to be odd and rarely, if ever, have anything to do with my writing. Day dreaming is a different story. That works much better for me.

Debra: Daydreams are very important for creativity. I've always suspected that the authors I've met were the children who daydreamed out the window when they were in school. I know I was. ;-)

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

LL: As a child, I had a number of favorite books. I can’t remember how many times I re-read LITTLE WOMEN, and cried every time. Another favorite was THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND by Elizabeth Speare. It was after reading her book that I decided I wanted to be a writer. I ended up a librarian instead. My dream was postponed until I was in my 40’s, but I eventually started writing.

Debra: THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND. I haven't thought of that one in years. :-) Thank you for reminding me of another one of my favorites.

If there were no categories for books, no reader expectations to meet, and you could create the wildest work of imagination that you could think of what kind of story would that be?

LL: I’ve kind of done that with my futuristic stories for the Alliance series. I’ve always felt that science fiction and fantasy were the most imaginative genres, and I’ve always admired people who could create whole worlds from scratch. I’m learning that it’s not easy to do, but can be very rewarding. I didn’t know how readers would take to my futuristic stories, but I’ve been happy with the sales.

Being able to take chances like this is one of the nice things about writing for a small e-publisher like Amber Quill Press. They put very few restrictions on their authors, and if something new comes up, the editorial director creates a new category on the website. J

Debra: Is there anything else you would like to add about the role of imagination, and dreams in creating fiction? Any other message for our readers?

LL: Imagination is a wonderful thing, and the world would be a depressing place without storytellers in it. I suspect that people who read are happier than those who don’t. A good book can take you away from your problems for a short while. Reading keeps us sane and emotionally healthy, in my opinion.

Debra: Oh, I so agree, Lyndi. Thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

LL: Thank you, Debra. Congratulations on your upcoming book. I hope it’s a big success for you. J

Debra: Thanks, Lyndi. All my fingers and toes are crossed. ;-)

Readers may visit Lyndi at
http://www.lyndilamont.com
http://www.myspace.com/lyndi.lamont

****************************
Debra's News/Debra is watching:

I'm just back from a great weekend in Hot Springs Arkansas (celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary) and ready to get back to work on the first round edits of A Desperate Journey. Its been a challenge getting this post up today as we've had lightning and thunder all day and the internet has been up and down.

Over on Title Wave this week, I'm blogging today, Ruth is blogging on Wed, and on Friday, Lois is blogging on ladies riding side saddle in history and when it is appropriate to use it in your own writing.

Watch for the E-book version of A Desperate Journey coming in July, 2008 from Samhain publishing. The print version will be released ten months later.

1 comment:

Lyndi Lamont said...

Debra,

Thanks for posting the interview. I just got home from Portland or I'd have commented sooner.

Lyndi Lamont
http://www.lyndilamont.com