Monday, September 18, 2006

Make-Believe Mondays With Marly Mathews

Today, on Make-believe Mondays I'd like to introduce Marly Mathews, my friend from RWAonline. Marly writes for The Wild Rose Press and New Concepts Publishing.

Marly, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Marly: Right now, I’m working on about four books…yep, I’m known as a multi-tasking kind of writer. I’m working on a late regency titled Taming The Groom, a futuristic paranormal set in an alternate universe titled The Trinity Key, and I’m revising a fantasy paranormal called Lady Luck and a regency paranormal titled The Iron Maiden.

I’ve also just been offered a contract from The Wild Rose Press for a short Christmas Story titled The Promise. It’s a heartwarming contemporary paranormal. If you love holiday stories, it will be your cup of tea.

Debra: Wow! Multitasking is right!

Mark Twain said, “You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” How do you fill your creative well to keep your imagination in focus?

Marly: I sleep. LOL Seriously though, my imagination is hardly ever out of focus…I’m one of those people that’s always thinking…so much so that it sometimes is hard for me to shut my imagination off and just get some rest!

Debra: I wouldn't be surprised if your subconscious was writing in your sleep.

Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Marly: I’d have to say my characters are fully realized from the get go. The story idea just pops into my head…and along with the idea comes the characters. I visualize them like a movie.

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Marly: Wow…there’s so many authors that pulled me into their world as a child. I was a literal bookworm. I just devoured books…anything I could get my hands on. One of my favorite gifts was a book…or books. LOL
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a big favorite of mine…and not just for her Anne Of Green Gables books…I’ve read everything she’s ever had published. I just loved her writing. Then, of course there was Louisa May Alcott, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Janet Lunn, Kit Pearson, and when I was very young, Robert Munsch. And that’s not all, there were many, many other authors that I loved. J

Debra: Oh, I loved the Anne of Green Gables books!

Is there anything else you would like to add about the role of imagination, and dreams in creating fiction? Any other message for our readers?

Marly: I think that dreams can impact not only our writing but also our daily lives. If you have a dream that seems remarkably life like than I’d say listen to it and try to learn from it. I also think that if you have a healthy imagination…there’s literally no limit to what you can write…after all, we as writers can sit down and travel anywhere!

Marly, thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

Marly: Thanks for inviting me, Debra.

Debra: You're quite welcome!

Look for Marly's upcoming books:

Twilight’s Kiss-A Fantasy Paranormal Contemporary Romance, Coming Soon from The Wild Rose Press
The Promise-A contemporary holiday paranormal romance story, Coming Soon from The Wild Rose Press
www.thewildrosepress.com

I’ll Be Yours-A Pirate Regency Adventure Romance- Coming Soon from New Concepts Publishing.
www.newconceptspublishing.com

(I'll update this blog for Marly once we have publication dates.)

In the meantime, check out Marlys website www.marlymathews.com and her blog,
www.marlymathews.blogspot.com

No comments: