Monday, August 28, 2006

Make-Believe Mondays With Linda Ford

We're a bit late with Make-believe Mondays because my scheduled author never showed up. But luckily, Linda Ford, one of my RWAonline friends, jumped in literally at the last minute, saving you from having to read a ranting blog from me on the importance of keeping deadlines.

Linda writes inspirational romance for Steeple Hill. (Is it any wonder she's such a sweetheart?)

Linda, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Linda: Right now I am working on an historical placed somewhere in South Dakota, set during the dirty 30s. I'm loving this story. My characters are strong people facing incredibly difficult circumstances. This will be the second depression era story written for the new Steeple Hill historical line—Love Inspired Historicals. I'm planning a trip to the Dakotas next week to research background and setting, which is going to be a lot of fun.

Debra: There are very few writers who write about the depression era. It's wonderful when authors are allowed to branch out to give us fresh new stories. And your trip sounds wonderful!

Mark Twain said, “You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” How do you fill your creative well to keep your imagination in focus?

Linda: I need to constantly refill my well as Julia Cameron says in her book "The Artists Way." The reseach trip I mentioned is one way but it doesn't have to be something to refresh my soul. Other things that work for me and are much more accessible are reading a good book, Bible scenery, a visit to a quilt shop or art store just to flood my senses with color and texture, coffee with a friend, sitting outside to work, knitting, scrapbooking - I could go on and on. And if that sounds airy fairy . . . well, it probably is but nevertheless, it works for me.

Debra: Flooding all the senses, like total immersion. I'll have to try that.

Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Linda: Oh yes. Always. Usually by the time I get the first three chapters done; sometimes earlier. One character usually comes readily, eagerly as if he/she can't wait for me to write down his or her story. The other is usually a little more reluctant. Oh, wait. These characters are imaginary, aren't they? Sometimes I have to remind myself of that.

Debra: Yes, and that's such a good thing. Though if they start to argue, you might wish they would go away.

Linda, I know we're pressed for time, but it there anything else you would like to add?

Linda: My website and blog can be found at www.lindaford.org.

I try and blog something new at least once a week - things about my life, my family or my writing. Come and visit. Drop me a line and tell me what you think about some of the subjects I mention.

Debra: Be sure to stop by and visit Linda this week, before she heads off to South Dakota. She's a sweetheart for jumping in so last minute.

No comments: