Monday, April 20, 2009

Make-Believe Mondays with Alisha Rai

Today on Make-Believe Mondays my guest is Alisha Rai.

Alisha, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Alisha: I’m always juggling two or three works at the same time, but I’m really trying to concentrate on Rana’s (Devi’s sister, from Glutton for Pleasure) right now. Otherwise it’s too tempting to try to avoid it every time I hit a roadblock. I plotted all three sister’s books out at the same time, so theoretically, the next two should be easy to write. Unfortunately, Rana is a troublesome wench, so its been a bit rough. Stay tuned, though. I’m determined to give her a story that’s worthy of her.

Debra: And determination is certainly one thing every author needs. I juggle more than one manuscript also and it took me a while to realize that was one reason for it. (Well it can't be writers block or procrastination if we are still writing, right?) LOL Sometimes truth hurts. Especially when it comes to writing practices. So tempting when getting stumped on one manuscript and being determined to keep writing. Which can be a good thing if you don't let it side track you and you make sure to return to the first one. ;-)

Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Alisha: Absolutely. I’ve learned that the best cure for writer’s block, for me, is just to mark off at least an hour and start writing something, anything. About twenty minutes in, the characters start becoming real and I get lost in the story and their lives.

Debra: Exactly. Even if you can only begin by writing...I am so frustrated with this story right now. It doesn't matter what the thing is, the physical act of writing breaks that block, at least for me.

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Alisha: Oh gosh, I don’t know if I could pick a single book. As a child, I devoured every printed thing I could get my hands on, including cereal boxes and pamphlets from solicitors. Madeline L’Engle is still a comfort read for me, though. I think A Wrinkle in Time was the first book I read where I was just as caught up in the sweet romance as I was in the story. Ooooh, and I had a massive crush on Meg’s twin brothers, who had their own novel, Many Waters. I know, I know, I’m a bit of a dork J.

Debra: Oh no, such labels don't apply to those of us who imagine. I think imagination erases all dorkiness. ;-) We should all allow our imaginations to play a bit more. Life should be fun! LOL

Alisha, thanks for joining me here on Make-Believe Mondays to celebrate imagination, creation and dreams and to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

Visit Alisha Rai at
www.alisharai.com
---------------------------------------
Debra's News/Debra is watching:

I'm here at the RT Convention in sunny Orlando.

ere are the panels and other events I am scheduled for at the convention. If you're attending, be sure to come up and say hello! I love meeting new people.

Sun. April 19th: 5:00 meet & greet dinner
Mon. April 20th: 2:00 - 3:00 Characterization with Diana Groe and Pat Simmons
Tue. April 21st: 11:00 - 12:00 Submitting with Jade Lee
2:15 - 3:00 Query & Synopsis
3:15 - 4:00 Rejection with Aleka Nakis, Susan Yarina, Kathy Love
Wed. April 22nd: 10:30 - 11:30 Resurrecting the Muse with Gerri Russell
3:30 - 4:30 Samhain Soireee Bookseller party
Sat. April 25th: 11:00 - 2:00 Book Fair (where I'll be signing my first novel, A Desperate Journey)

There are plenty of other events I'm planning to attend, but these are the places you're certain to find me.

I'll be out of town April 15th through April 27th, but Make-Believe Mondays will continue.

Keep watching my website www.debraparmley.com for photos and video from the book launch and for pictures from the RT convention in Orlando.

No comments: