Sunday, December 28, 2008

Make-Believe Mondays With Miss Mae


Today on Make-Believe Mondays, my guest is Miss Mae.

Miss Mae, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Miss Mae: This is a story I started soooo many years ago, and it’s been rejected soooo many times…LOL..But now with three contracted works, I’m hoping I understand more of what editors expect. So, once again, I’m going over this story. It’s about a young vet returning home from the Vietnam War (set in small town USA, 1967)and because of his good looks, he’s immediately popular with the girls. He gets a reputation for being a “bad” boy. My heroine, meanwhile, because her mother had a bad experience with her dad, is over-protective and won’t allow her to date until she’s 18. She meets this “playboy” when she’s 16 and he’s 20. For these 2 years he’s after her to go out with him. But she, unwilling to reveal the “mortifying” reason of not being allowed to date, puts him off. So what happens when she does reach 18 and goes on her first date? She makes the wrong choice, of course…LOL..This is tentatively titled, “A Knight in Deed” and it’s the first book of a two-book story. In the second story, when my heroine becomes twenty, the tale turns into a romantic suspense. It will be called, “A Knight in Need.”

Debra: That's an interesting story set up, age being the hurdle to overcome.

For some writers, dreams play a role in creating fiction. Has this been true for you? Have you ever dreamed a scene or an image that later wound up in one of your books?

Miss Mae: Hmm, you mean night dreams, I guess? I can’t recall that I have. But daydreams, yes. Isn’t that how all our stories are created? We escape from the real world around us, withdraw into this imaginary place and dream or “plot” out our books!..LOL..

Debra: Yes, I mean night dreams, but also daydreams too, for they are a type of hypnotic state and that also interests me. It is wonderful to escape to the imaginary place. :-)

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Miss Mae: Yes. Though I loved the Nancy Drew books, I will have to say that Madeleine L’Engle’s “A Wrinkle in Time” truly stole my imagination. I devoured that book and the story of courageous Meg outwitting the sinister It to save her scientist father and genius little brother, Charles Wallace. See, I can still remember the names!

Debra: And remembering the names as well as the story is the true mark of a book that has touched us, isn't it? :-)

Miss Mae, thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

Readers can visit Miss Mae at
www.missmaesite.com
missmaesite.blogspot.com
www.myspace.com/missmaeauthor
www.myspace.com/monamurphy

---------------------
Debra's News/Debra is Watching:

Today it is my turn to blog over on Title Wave. I'm chatting about calendars, changing technologies and ebooks and I would love to hear your comments.

Also this week, I am taking down and putting away the Christmas decorations, selling some things on ebay, doing a winter cleaning and clearing out and getting ready for the new year to come in, all shiny and new and full of adventures and possibilities. It is a good feeling to be clearing away things that no longer serve you, whether it be the things that pile up in our homes or our lives. I'll need a pared down, simpler life once the book signings and writers events kick in next year. So I am paring things back to prepare for that.

www.debraparmley.com
Authors of fiction who wish to be interviewed on Make-Believe Mondays, please visit Debra's website and fill out the request form. Booking through the the end of 2009 now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having me, Debra. It was fun! :)