Monday, September 08, 2008

Make-Believe Mondays With Devyn Quinn



Today on Make-Believe Mondays our guest is Devyn Quinn.

Devyn, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Devyn: I am currently working on Man After Midnight, the sequel to Flesh and the Devil. This is one of those few rare books that writes themselves, and I am happy to say I am nearing the finish line!

Debra: How lucky a writer is, when that happens.

Ray Bradbury said, “We are cups, constantly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.” How do you keep your creative cup filled?

Devyn: I make sure I get plenty of downtime to watch all my favorite movies and television shows. Though I don’t own a television, I do have a DVD player and I love renting my favs to watch. I’ll go on a glut of no writing, only movies. Right now I am looking forward to the release of Dexter Season 2 on DVD. I definitely plan to watch the whole season in a few days.

Debra: I've been considering doing that with Lost, since I only saw the first three and then got busy. I don't watch TV much any more, but that story was so fascinating. Thanks for the idea.

Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Devyn: Definitely! If I don’t believe they are real, how can my readers???

Debra: Some very famous authors have played with language, creating words for people or places that no one has ever heard of. Have you ever played with words in that way and if so how?

Devyn: Oh, yes. I have a Gaelic dictionary and I just love going through it and creating new words out of the Irish language!

Debra: Ah, I love Gaelic. (Probably my Celtic heritage.) So your new words intrigue me.

For some writers, dreams play a role in creating fiction. Has this been true for you? Have you ever dreamed a scene or an image that later wound up in one of your books?

Devyn: Most days I can’t recall my dreams. I’m a leaden sleeper!

Debra: As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Devyn: I worshipped at the altar of Salem’s Lot by Stephen King for years. It is one of my all time favorite horror novels.

Debra: If there were no categories for books, no reader expectations to meet, and you could create the wildest work of imagination that you could think of what kind of story would that be?

Devyn: :::Giggle insanely::: I think I am about to write that book for Kensington. Demons, bondage and possession. Oodles of fun!

Debra: It's wonderful when publishers allow for the new, for the wildly creative books.

Is there anything else you would like to add about the role of imagination, and dreams in creating fiction? Any other message for our readers?

Devyn: If anyone has my imagination, please send it back. I’m trying to finish this WIP!!!!

Debra: LOL Sometimes they like to play with us, don't they? Maybe it's just around the corner, playing hide and seek. I hope you find it soon.

Devyn, thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

Come visit Devyn at
www.devynquinn
or myspace.com/devynquinn

---------------------
Debra's News/Debra is watching:

I was thrilled to receive a review this week from Coffee Time Romance for A Desperate Journey.
You can read it here:
Coffee Time Romance

Reviews and updates will be posted on my website
www.debraparmley.com

No comments: