Monday, June 30, 2008

Make-Believe Mondays With Mandy Roth



Today on Make-Believe Mondays my guest is Mandy Roth.

Mandy, is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Mandy: Sadly, from inception. I’d see a doctor but really, where is the fun in that? If I can’t automatically see and hear the characters in my mind, I don’t even bother bringing them to life on the page. I have to form an instant connection with them or nothing moves.

Debra: Oh, that would be no fun at all. No, there's no point wasting time with characters who refuse to tell you their story, any more than there would be going on a second date with a person who wouldn't talk. Better to move on.

Some very famous authors have played with language, creating words for people or places that no one has ever heard of. Have you ever played with words in that way and if so how?

Mandy: All the time. I love mixing languages such as Latin, Italian, French and English, to come up with a word that fits what I need it for. I love to flavor up a document, giving it a certain unique quality—something all its own. Creating words is a perfect way to do it. For example, in Last Call, I have OMNIMORPHELEONS.
Origin: from the scary depths of Mandy Roth's mind. She (okay, I… but third person sounds so official) was sick of using creatures everyone had already heard of so I mixed the words omni+morph +Chameleon.

Meaning: Demons that can change shape at will, Omnimorpheleons are closely related to weres and vampires. They are a blending of the two—a superb race of supernaturals if you will. That is why they are often called the guardians or masters. They say The Powers That Be created them to keep the supernatural population in check.

Debra: Fascinating.

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Mandy: Stephen King was a huge influence in my life. I’d devour his works and couldn’t get enough of them. Clive Barker was another favorite, followed closely by Anne Rice.

Debra: If there were no categories for books, no reader expectations to meet, and you could create the wildest work of imagination that you could think of what kind of story would that be?

Mandy: Exactly what I’m doing now. I tend to ignore the categories and the genres and do whatever feels right for the book. This hurts me as far as NY goes but I don’t mind so long as the readers are happy. My newest release, Bella Mia: Daughter of Darkness Book III (June 2008) is an example of blending vampires, faeries, werewolves, romance, paranormal, urban fantasy, suspense and just about anything else I can toss in. The Daughter of Darkness Series has afforded me a chance to do what feels natural and I really love writing them.

Debra: I'm always pleased to hear an author say they are writing what they love and allowing free range of the imagination.

Mandy, thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

Mandy: Thank you for having me!

Visit Mandy M. Roth at:

Web: www.mandyroth.com

Blog: www.mandyroth.com/blog

Raven: www.ravenhappyhour.com


----------------------------
Debra's News/Debra is watching:

This week I'm planning changes to my website, A Desperate Journey is with the final line editor, and my dad is here visiting. And as the book will be released July 22nd, I am planning several things for that week. One is my own interview here on the Make-Believe Mondays blog, July 21st!

Wishing everyone a happy 4th of July! May it be full of joy.

1 comment:

mandymroth said...

Thanks for having me!