Monday, October 15, 2007

Make-Believe Mondays With Marie - Nicole Ryan

Today on Make-Believe Mondays our guest is Marie Nicole Ryan.

Marie,- Nicole, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you're working on now.

Marie- Nicole: Funny you should ask. I'm working on a MS that my editor just rejected! Seems I'm guilty of using a similar plot device from a previous book AND I have a secondary plot that's just competing for prominence with my main suspense plot. So it's back to revising and reworking the MS. I'm also working on the sequel to the rejected MS, so I have to get the first one right.

Both are romantic suspense stories set in Nashville at a PI agency, Music City Investigations, run by a blended family of siblings. Each of the family members will have his/her own book, but none of them will see the light of day if number one doesn't suit my editor.

Debra: Oh that sounds interesting. Nashville is just down the road from me.

Ray Bradbury said, "We are cups, constantly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." How do you keep your creative cup filled?

Marie - Nicole: One thing I always do when I write is have music in the background. Most of the time, I listen to light classical and New Age music because it's so calming and inspiring. Other times I just have to take a break and read, read, read. Taking time for me is another way I keep my creative cup filled, for example, lunch with a friend. I don't have a lot of responsibilites except to myself so this is easier than for most writers. My son is an adult and out on his own, and I gave up my day job last year. Watching the news is always a source of story ideas whether good or bad.

Debra: Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Marie- Nicole: Yes, and it's difficult to define how it happens or how I know, but when it happens I know. Sometimes in the editing process, I change wording in a character's dialogue, and all of a sudden it hits me that "Nick" would say it this way not that way. Another way I know is when my body language starts mimicking the character's movements. I'll be writing dialogue and my shoulders will twitch or shrug and I know the character is speaking through me.

Debra: Oh, that is fascinating. Is there anything else you would like to tell our readers?

Marie-Nicole: You can check my web site or blog and I'll include the links below. My current release is Too Good to be True and it's available at Samhain Publishing.
My next release is Love on the Run, and it’s due out November 2nd, also from Samhain.

http://marienicoleryan.com

http://marienicoleryan.blogspot.com

http://romanticsuspense.blogspot.com

Marie- Nicole, Thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

No comments: