Monday, January 08, 2007

Make-Believe Mondays With Renee Russell

Today on Make-believe Mondays I'm pleased to introduce a very dear friend of mine who writes under the name Renee Russell. Renee's first book, Kate's Pride sold to Wings and I'm thrilled for her.

Renee, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you’re working on now.

Renee: “Kate’s Pride” goes on sale this month. I’m really excited that this book made it into print. It’s a Southern Gothic historical in the tradition of Tennessee Williams and William Faulkner – although I certainly don’t consider myself in the same league as those two giants!

Debra: I feel priviledged to have been one of the few to read the manuscript before you sold it and I can say that your voice is your own unique, Southern style. I'm counting the days until my copy arrives in the mail.


Is there a point when your characters begin to come alive and you can see and hear them?

Renee: I start with a “What if?” and the characters grow from there. I have the broad strokes of the story in my head before I begin and the characters come alive within the first chapter. That’s usually when they tell me their names and reveal their personalities.

As a child did any particular book or author pull you into their imaginary world?

Renee: I loved the Boxcar stories and the Trixie Belden stories. I wanted to be Trixie when I grew up. Later when I read Gone With the Wind I wanted to be Scarlett O’Hara

Debra: The Boxcar Children were some of my favorites as well.

Renee, thank you for joining us here on this Make-believe Monday to share a little bit of the magic of writing with our readers.

To learn more about Renee visit
http://www.reneerussell.com/

No comments: