Monday, June 19, 2006

Make-Believe Mondays With Celia May Hart


Today on Make-Believe Mondays I'd like to introduce Celia May Hart. Celia writes historical sensual romance set in the regency period (1800 to 1830) and her first book SHOW ME just came out from Kensingtons new erotic line, Aphrodisia.

Celia, first, tell us a little bit about the manuscript you're working on now.

Celia: I’m working on another Aphrodisia book, also a Regency-set historical, but this one has everything in it but the kitchen sink. (I almost gave it the title of “KITCHEN SINK” because I never get to keep titles anyway. Ok, I have once, so far.) It has time travel, adventure, paranormal elements in the form of Greek mythology coming to life.... And it’s just going to be a crazy, bantering, sexy yarn. If I finish it on time (I’ve just started it), it should be out in Summer 2007.

Debra: If I ever see a book titled KITCHEN SINK I'll think of you. It sounds like your work in progress will be great fun to write! And to read.

For some writers, dreams play a role in creating fiction. Has this been true for you? Have you ever dreamed a scene or an image that later wound up in one of your books?

Celia: Absolutely! I rely heavily on dreams or in that state just before you fall completely asleep to help me get through a book. I set myself what I think the characters need to do next, and then hopefully in the morning, I have some new pages to write. There is a scene in my upcoming novella in THE HAREM that was completely taken from a dream. I’m not going to include any spoilers, but there’s a fountain involved. Everything: the character emotions, the sound of the water, the colors, came in that dream and I think I managed to get it all down.

Debra: Oh, that's wonderful! So in a way the readers will be able to enter your dream with you.

If there were no categories for books, no reader expectations to meet, and you could create the wildest work of imagination that you could think of what kind of story would that be?

Celia: Um, I think I’m writing that book right now. There are so many “different” category elements in it, that it just might fit that bill. The wildest works of imagination usually find themselves in fantasy or literary fiction, for what it’s worth. *smile*

Is there anything else you would like to add about the role of imagination, and dreams in creating fiction? Any other message for our readers?

Celia: I’ve written stories for as long as I can remember, so the imagination has always been there. Sometimes, I think I’m not imaginative enough. For example, when the hero of my current work informs me (through the story) that the family has a legend, but that granny had garbled it into a riddle. So now I have to think of a riddle. Thanks a lot, Myles.

Debra: It's a bit like talking to the Cheshire cat, then isn't it? What fun!

Celia, thank you for joining us here on Make-Believe Mondays to share a bit of the magic of creating fiction with our readers.

Celia: Thanks Debra, for these questions. They were fun!

You can visit Celia at www.celiamayhart.com

No comments: